Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Celebrating in Cambridge.


No snow here--just rain, and then clouds, and then clearing. But grey wetness is a good backdrop for small cozy spaces full of loved ones, and for a little stroll through (or at least near) one's new haunts, and for convivial meals. Even if we couldn't go into colleges today, because every one of them was locked tight, I was glad for the chance to show them off--with even a little flourish of proprietariness. I find myself using first-person pronouns at unexpected moments this week.


The sunset was just red enough to make me hope for clear skies for tomorrow's walk through meadows I love, beside a river I greet daily. It felt like a sunset of great promise.

Tomorrow, one night late, we will flambée a Christmas pudding, and I will think back with enormous fondness on the last time I flambéed something, back in my old house in Ithaca, with all my graduate school friends, one of whom stood by with a fire extinguisher in case the cherries jubilee flared up out of control. May it not require that much brandy to flame the pudding tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger T. said...

What delicious writing this is!

12:45 PM, December 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last photograph in this post is very Monet-esque, and your walk through the meadows sounds Wordsworthian.

1:12 PM, January 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home