Sunday, October 14, 2007

Faces high and low.


It's definitely fall, and today is definitively Sunday: a day for finishing reading, doing laundry, making a meal I can warm up for lunch after I write tomorrow morning, going to Clare College for choral evensong, stopping on Clare Bridge after nightfall to look for the Canada geese paddling down the dark river in single file.

A couple of backgammon games and a good mug of hot milk, and I should be ready to sleep.

If you had a vacuum cleaner that looked at you like this, you too might be in the process of changing your cleaning ways.


You might even, say, clean your entire flat in the warm afternoon, then venture out to purchase further cleaning necessaries--cleaning cloths, baking soda, dish sponges--with which to finish the job. And you might even find yourself looked at by even more faces while out: in Cambridge we are not at a loss for lookers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

I love your vacuum cleaner!!!

I also love that here in Edinburgh too, there are faces, disembodied and not, peeping round nearly every corner.

4:03 AM, October 15, 2007  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Yes, it is so exciting. As I stood in front of the "old colleges" site taking that top picture, I wondered whether it would be even slightly possible to get to know all of the inanimate faces in Cambridge, much less the animate ones. It's such a strange thing to start thinking about; we are not big on facial architecture in the US, are we? I can't think of places where I've been where there are this many statues and graven visages everywhere. Nor elsewhere here, perhaps--not even in Oxford, really (though now I start to feel a bit out of my depth, because it's possible that I just haven't seen them, because it takes awhile to start noticing details, which is why touristing generally makes me sad).

4:52 AM, October 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home