Saturday, July 15, 2006

A personal matter.


If you were here, and if you cared to hear, I could tell you about what I learned today about hand-press (as opposed to machine-press) books, about chain lines and wire lines on laid paper, about how difficult it can be to determine the format of a book printed on wove paper with no watermark, and about the different ways of producing a duodecimo (or twelvemo) gathering. It has, in other words, been a day of intellectual ferment, one of those days when I actually had to create a tiny octavo gathering in order to understand what an instructional video was trying to tell me about how that format's pagination works. Now I'm on to reading about type--how it's cast, how it's put together, how it's described.

Now, the waning moon is rising yellowly over the fields, into the clear sky that has somehow followed a sweltering, blue-hot day. And because I'm not writing much to you this evening, I'll give you two images, one for decoration and one for amusement. Tomorrow, more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

Type is fun.

If, in you readings, you come accross the proper admixture of metals used by Gutenberg, pleas let me know. I seem to have forotten that bit of information and have been at a loss to remember, though I suppose I could just try to find it myself.

Anyway, if you ever want to talk type or book design or what-not, I am always happy to oblige.

1:15 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I don't know if this is sufficient information, but what Gaskell tells me is that printing types "were cast in an alloy of lead, antimony, and tin called type-metal" (9). Not a formula, but at least the metals.

Thanks for the offer of book-talk. Huzzah for books!

1:19 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Poking-Stick Man said...

I love that Elizabeth Gaskell wrote gentle comedies of manners like Cranford AND expert accounts of Gutenberg-era typesetting.

In a completely unrelated matter, I join in number 4's appreciation of Cheetara. I always secretly wished that she would savagely eat the annoying and truly useless Thundercat -- the small, whiny one that looked like a deformed housecat. (Someone should google the irksome creature's name -- but it won't be me because I loathe him so).

10:37 PM, July 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home