Sunday, July 09, 2006

Multiplying the moon.


My Knoxvillian friend and I spent the better part of the day on the porch, she doing some writing and I learning bibliographic terms. When the sun had gone and the dusk was growing, we ventured out to procure books and crackers. We didn't get very far before we found the moon, a day off its fullness, rising orangely behind a campus building down the street. I debated with myself over whether or not to go back for the camera. "Go," she said. "I'll stand here and guard the moon."

Returned, with my camera, I proceeded to try and catch that orange moon. I do not have a particularly steady hand; I didn't take the time to grab the tripod; the pictures, as a result, have a multiplicity of moons, light swerving and jittering at the centers of my frames.


It was--it is--a night of great coolness and calm, a night of still air and quiet deer and lovely chance meetings in the bookstore and on gravel paths. It is a night of relishing found cheese and strong coffee and hot milk on the porch, in the low light from the study window. It is a night of settling fatigue, a need to sink swiftly into sleep, in a house filled with the heavy-wafted scent of espresso, while my friend hews her academic work downstairs. It is a night of some small mystery; it would seem that I have a new local reader, though I do not know who (hello, whoever you are!).

It is, in short, a night of some serendipity and serene strangeness. Paying for the fruits of our foraging at the bookstore, at nearly 10:45 p.m., we ran into my beloved classics friend, the man who taught me everything I know about Greek, who was making photocopies for a family reunion. Among the pieces he'd copied was an essay his aunt had written in the early 1920s, a kind of sermon called "What Hath God Wrought?". And lo and behold if the end of that piece didn't fit right in with the images I'd been taking (or trying to take) up and down campus for the previous half-hour, not to mention with the life I've been living up and down campus this year: "Let your imagination exercise itself upon the charm of night lit by a clear moon; the awe inspired by rolling thunder-clouds; the grandeur of mountain peaks; or the constant interest of breaking waves. Then, as you have opportunity, revel in the real presence of these wonders, and you will find your inmost soul exclaiming under the pressure of a thrill that never diminishes."


As usual, my inmost soul is exclaiming tonight, even in this quiet. Perhaps especially in this quiet.

7 Comments:

Blogger ttractor said...

oh, how lovely. the trick to still photos w/o tripod is (didn't your brother tell you?) don't breathe...take a breath, hold, then snap. It also feels like you are breathing in your image, retaining it inside you, in interesting contrast to saving it into the metal box to share later.

8:18 AM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

so many responses: my brother and I tend not to swap advice regarding our specialties (so, he doesn't get advice from me about writing; I don't get advice from him about photography), chiefly, I think, because we spent some years feeling funny about not having the same abilities before we arrived at loving what we're each able to do. but here's the other, more important thing: I wasn't breathing. the moving is my heart's beating during that long night-time exposure; it is the thrum and tremble of blood pushing through me. so, a counterpart to what you've just suggested, no? a good friend, someone who really had my number, once said to me with utmost affection, "You really are a lunatic." we were on a ship, watching a moonrise we'd been waiting for for days. he was right. and I was touched.

9:11 AM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger ttractor said...

hmmm, you can't very well stop your heart now, can you?

1:54 PM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

no, I certainly can't. nor would I want to, even if I could, even if it would save pains.

2:13 PM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Javier Aldabalde said...

I don't come to this blog nearly as often as I should, but when I do I'm always greeted by some beautiful post like this. Inspiring, really.

5:44 PM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Not From K'ville said...

Hmmm, your Knoxvillian friend, eh? Sad but true, sad but true. At least there's some small consolation in the moon (which is really full tonight, I understand . . . ).

6:57 PM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Hereafter my once and future San Franciscan friend. Too bad we won't get to see the full moon since all of Ohio is washing away while we sit on the porch.

7:07 PM, July 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home