Wednesday, June 14, 2006

(It is a thing I have always wanted to do.)


I tried this one as haiku and didn't like it much at all
, so I'm back to the keyboard. Sitting in my office tonight, watching the sun sink on toward setting, I remembered that it's been quite awhile since I last thought about my dream of seeing the midnight sun, at some year's solstice. For many years, I contemplated the old Icelandair trick: fly to London on Icelandair, and you get a stopover in Reykjavik, where today the sun rose at 2:57 a.m. and set at 11:57 p.m. (with dawn and dusk at 2:27 a.m. and 12:27 a.m., respectively). Then, one year I actually flew to Europe on the summer solstice, but I didn't muster the courage or the organizational prowess to place myself in Iceland that evening; instead, I flew USAir and arrived in London some six hours after I left Pittsburgh. But I hang on to the dream, particularly on nights when I look over my shoulder out the window at 9:48 and discover the sharp silhouettes of trees in a still-silvery sky, and I simply want the light to linger.

source for tonight's image (because I haven't gotten to see it myself yet): a broken-down Cross-wise site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home