Sunday, June 04, 2006

The motions of moving.


Today's project: moving bedroom furniture. My father is a master packer and loader, and I am a completely adequate truck driver (in part because of the time I spent driving a forklift many years ago). And my mother is an extraordinary planner and supervisor. The three of us spent a surprisingly leisurely afternoon completing the first phase of getting my childhood furniture out of my parents' house and on its way to Gambier, where I will, by this time tomorrow, have drawers in which I can store the clothing that has rested in crates and on the floor for nearly two years, not to mention a headboard to attach to my bedframe. So now we sit together for a last night of this brief early summer vacation, learning about the excavation of Egyptian tomb KV63. And then tomorrow, it's back to work--driving a nearly empty seventeen-foot truck with marine creatures summering on its side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home