Friday, June 09, 2006

These dreams go on when I close my eyes.

(You get nine bonus points, maybe even ten, if you can name that allusion. Here's another hint: every second of the night, I live another life. If you needed the hint, you only get seven points.)


In my dream, the students were organizing a concert, but to get there we had to walk a long ways, through the collection of buildings that seem to recur as an alternate college in my mind, and then over the bridge near the Pennsylvania Railroad bridge of my adolescence. We walked over a swollen river, through a storm that had just ended. I had carried with me eight pairs of earrings, most of them plain silver hoops of many sizes, all of them hooked together into their pairs. Two pairs were new, and lovely, and I had just received them as gifts from my family and from my excellent friend who buys me jewelry occasionally, always choosing impeccably. One of the new pairs: silver hoops, but exquisite. The other: delicately strong gold, with red cord. When we got where we were going, I had lost the earrings, all but the ones I was wearing. The whole way back, I searched and searched for what had vanished. I found a few pairs of hoops, near the river (still swollen), but another storm had raged through and obliterated our tracks, and I am no good at finding small things among pebbles, though I am a finder of lost things, I with my connection to Saint Anthony. Later, in a suburban house in a subdivision like my parents', the students were organizing something else, but I was still searching for my earrings (and here's where I figured out that we'd started from this subdivision earlier in the dream). And then it transpired that I had lost my shoes as well. And then I awoke. And now I am missing the rest of the dream, which might be a mercy since it was shot through with so much frivolous loss, with which no one could sympathize, quite rightly.

6 Comments:

Blogger Poking-Stick Man said...

10 points for me:

Heart, "These Dreams" -- part of Heart's unfortunate late 80s work.

2:45 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Poking-Stick Man said...

Incidentally, this dream is just screaming out for a really bad pseudo-Freudian reading. :)

Beck is currently affirming that his mind contains a satanic hairstyle. Good times, good times.

2:52 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Being a bad Freudian, I shudder to think of what earrings might represent for him. If it's something scandalously inappropriate, please let me know so that I can pretend I never wrote this post.

2:57 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Because, I mean, thank God I wasn't carrying eight purses in that dream.

2:58 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger ttractor said...

OK, that cracked me up. Just had to let you know.

4:49 PM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Earrings = the precious gifts (of friendship?) lost (or temporarily forgotten) during times of high water (emotion). Shoes = your ability to keep moving forward, despite concern for past losses. [But what do I know -- I was going to guess the title reference was from "A Nightmare on Elm Street"... ]

11:25 PM, June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home