Sunday, April 16, 2006

Then there is a loneliness that roams.


Paul D sits down in the rocking chair and examines the quilt patched in carnival colors. His hands are limp between his knees. There are too many things to feel about this woman. His head hurts. Suddenly he remembers Sixo trying to describe what he felt about the Thirty-Mile Woman. "She is a friend of my mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order. It's good, you know, when you got a woman who is a friend of your mind."
If you still haven't read Beloved, you are missing, plain and simple. It is not a story to pass on.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's on the list! And you just inspired me to post a sample from the novel I'm reading, which I feel not enough people have read or heard of.

1:37 AM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger NicksFlickPicks said...

One of my graduate students is writing on Beloved, and I'm already coveting the chance to revisit the prose. (The passage you quoted has always ranked high among my favorites.)

2:36 AM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger ttractor said...

I think I must have been in a coma when I read it a million years ago. OK, I'll give it a re-go...

10:08 AM, April 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home