Sunday, November 23, 2008

Then we took the piano apart.


After dinner, once I'd arrived at my parents' house this evening, I tried out my old upright piano, just to see how many of its keys are out of tune. Only one was ferociously bad, bad enough that my father and I had the same impulse: open that thing up and see if we can figure out how to tune it. Within about fifteen minutes, we (by which I mean: his mechanical know-how and my ear) had gotten it close enough for me to serenade them before we all headed upstairs to bed. It's good to be the daughter.

(Oh yeah: it occurs to me that I should clarify that I'm not playing hooky from school. One of the best things about my employer is that we get a full week for Thanksgiving. I will fight hard if we ever start hearing about changes to this aspect of our calendar, because the week usually comes just in time, and goodness knows December is hard enough as it is.)

5 Comments:

Blogger BadassMama said...

Glad you have arrived and are safely ensconced in the bosom of your family. They seem to be one important way that you recharge your batteries.

9:53 AM, November 24, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Indeed. It also helps to be confined to the house for two days while their 20 year old furnace gets replaced: forced stillness! Near-total quiet! Even the deaf mutt isn't here, so I'm going for intensive work achievement.

10:00 AM, November 24, 2008  
Blogger Gryphon said...

Where is Sid??

11:38 AM, November 24, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

She is at what my father calls "the doggie spa": she's being groomed but is also getting a tune-up (i.e., some teeth pulled [?!] and a couple of fatty lumps removed from her back). I think we expect her home on Wednesday afternoon.

1:25 PM, November 24, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Sorry, by the way, for giving even the momentary impression that she was GONE-gone. When that happens, be assured that it will be duly noted.

1:26 PM, November 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home