Thursday, August 07, 2008

[Blackout day #1.]

My day, sunup to sundown:



When the pilot of our already much-delayed Columbus-bound Embraer 175 came on the p.a. to tell us we were number 18 in line for take-off, and that said take-off would happen in about 25 minutes, we all waited for the punchline. But that was the punchline.

It was a 24.5 hour trip, door to door, and everything went absolutely as well as could have been expected--coach breakdown on the M25, excess baggage charge, and kicking-over-of-first-20-oz.-coffee-in-my-own-country notwithstanding. Kicking the coffee over was no good--but remembering that I'd only paid $1.50 for it and being able to replace it with coffee and a Boston Cream donut for only $2.39 at Dunkin' Donuts were, to put it plainly, nothing short of awesome. ("Coffee and a donut for £1.20? Incroyable!") There at Philadelphia's gate B2, I had a little welcome-home party for myself. You probably would have laughed to see me love that custard the way I did.

4 Comments:

Blogger Notorious Ph.D. said...

Nothing says "welcome back to the U.S." quite like being able to buy 20 oz. of coffee.

Welcome home!

1:43 PM, August 09, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

And even better: to be able to buy it for what would have been an impossibly low price in England. $1.50 would have been 75p. A large coffee (which, as you point out, wouldn't have been 20 oz) would have cost something closer to £2. It's possible that I kicked the coffee over in subconscious celebration of being somewhere where I could afford to waste a cup. (Sigh.)

Plus, I had gotten the large coffee for the price of a medium. That part, I suspect, was because I must have looked pretty rough by 5:30 p.m., having been on the move since 11:30 the night before (EDT).

3:54 PM, August 09, 2008  
Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

Welcome back from the entire Aquafamily.

quqroux

8:29 PM, August 09, 2008  
Blogger Gryphon said...

I've finally stopped converting U.S. pries into pounds--but my credit card took a hit for a while until I got over that!

Take a couple more days off; you deserve them!

12:21 PM, August 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home