Monday, July 14, 2008

Wisely driven?


Walking to my piano lesson, I saw a sticker on the back of a truck. Wisely driven? it said. I took it as a sign that what I've been considering for the past couple of days is actually a good idea. To wit: because I have had so much to think and write and do on the outside of the Cabinet lately, I've been giving what's in the Cabinet shorter shrift than I'd like. I never wanted this place to be full of "then I went here, and then I did this" updates. And yet that's what I have the brainspace for, most days. For the next week or so, just to give myself a rest, I'm going to let myself go as close to word-free here as I want. Some days, I may find myself unable to stay quiet. Some days, I may just be glad for the silence of an image I can offer here. I don't believe that I'm making a gradual exit from these writings; in fact, I believe that once I'm home, this place is going to be crucial to me in all kinds of ways, just as it was before I left to come here, and just as it's been throughout my time here. But just for right now, I need one less commitment that involves words.

Forty-one years ago today, my father and mother met on a blind date. She had masses of curly red hair; he had a shock of thick dark hair that fell over his forehead again and again. They went to an amusement park and rode the Tilt-a-Whirl. Lucky for me, by the end of the night they were goners.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just spent more than (3) weeks on vacation with your Mama and we're still "goners." This is the longest time we've spent together in 25 years. and it's been wonderful and rich and simple.

Thank you for remembering and honoring us so often - these points you're earning will be worth something.

8:31 PM, July 14, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you? Lucky us!
I was dizzy getting off of a ride--The Spinner--and your father reached out and took my hand. He's taken it many times since then, but it always feels just like that first time. I would wish that for any woman. Lucky me!

9:42 PM, July 14, 2008  
Blogger Poking-Stick Man said...

Arguably, lucky for all of us!

12:59 AM, July 15, 2008  
Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

Like you, Dr. S, your parents rock.

Lucky everybody!

Huzzah!

8:36 AM, July 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home