Thursday, July 10, 2008

With dispatch.

I'm smart enough to know that on the biggest day of my conference, I'm not going to have time to give you a full report, or anything like even a small report. And so, a report on Aberystwyth graffiti.



"Don't take a picture of my television!" said the owner of the chip shop where my flatmates and I stopped so that one of them could buy fried cod for the walk to the wine bar on Tuesday; this television was on the side of his building. "It's a lovely television," I told him. I'd already taken the picture. I was fairly certain he was kidding, though there's often no way to be sure.



I've seen three pairs of these eyes here. One was in town on the way to the wine bar. One was in town on the way home from the wine bar; one of my flatmates noticed it and said, "Hey, another pair of your eyes!" A third pair graces the back of the labyrinthine building that houses the university library and several major departments.


There's a tattoo parlor called West Coast Tattoo. My first response was to laugh. My second was to take a picture. My third was to think, well, yes: we are on the west coast. There's nothing between me and North America right now besides Ireland and a lot of Atlantic.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gryphon said...

If you have a chance while you're in Aberystwyth, look for Sherlock's restaurant (predictably, at 12b Baker St.). Despite its name, it has amazing Portuguese food (and wine). Enjoy Wales!

5:01 PM, July 10, 2008  
Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

Oh!!!

I so loved Aberystwyth. There is a great Portuguese restaurant somewhere amidst the twists and turns of the town. I loved the Putt-Putt course nestled between the ruins of the castle walls and the old university building.

I was just profoundly charmed by the place. We stole a rock form the beach. Wish we were there with you -- and the Aquababy.

9:23 AM, July 11, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

And if they have cheesecake -- which I don't normally like -- eat it. It is unlike cheesecake as we Americans typically know it.

[hatgjn: at first I thought it wanted me to type hat gin, and my immediate response was "Mmmm gin from a hat."]

2:56 PM, July 12, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Oh, too late, kids. I'm already home--and I didn't see Sherlock's. But I did eat at an absolutely amazing deli/restaurant called Ultracomida. On my masterlist of places to which I'd like to return, that one is high up (in the food department).

4:57 PM, July 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home