Friday, May 23, 2008

Down the river, up the meadow.


Today, I continued to show my visiting friend what this part of the United Kingdom looks like. It was the Alternate Transport portion of the trip: an afternoon on a punt, an evening walk through Grantchester Meadows. Everyone in the punt poled successfully for some goodly stretch; my visiting friend even managed, on his debut, to steer us deftly back into the punt rental company's dock.


This goose's missing beak testifies to the excitement I was expressing about seeing its baby swimming so energetically and efficiently for one so small. (I'm bummed about this one; a reshoot would be pretty much impossible, alas.) These non-Canada geese seem to have dropped in on Cambridge all of a sudden this week; there are four of them (plus the baby) hanging about in the paddocks at Trinity.


Later, these grasses made me miss my prairie, and made me know how much I'll miss these meadows when I'm gone.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read about that goose while I was on that side of the world. That's the pink footed goose, I think. The next time that you see one, be sure to check out the color of its feet.

2:12 AM, May 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. Well, I researched a bit and found that it could also be a Bean Goose. Bean geese are very closely related to Pink-feet, but (as you've probably guessed) they don't have pink feet.

Okay, that is it for me tonight.

2:28 AM, May 24, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I think they're greylags--that's what it looks like in my British Bird Book. But thank you for prompting me to look them up!

3:44 AM, May 24, 2008  
Blogger Poking-Stick Man said...

I very much enjoyed all the punting. And even I think that my steering was pretty deft! :)

8:06 PM, May 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home