Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Yes, please.


My horoscope for today:
You are full of great ideas and a few of them--the few that nobody else has dreamed up yet--will take off and develop lives of their own. You should nurture them for now, then let go.
After an afternoon spent ferreting out new knowledge in the majestically utilitarian University Library, this prediction and recommendation sound just about right.

Oh, and oh my: R.E.M. always used to be in the business of setting truth to an awesome soundtrack, but they and I parted waves in a dorm room back in 1993; very little of what they've put out in the past (gulp) fifteen years has done much to thrill even the rock 'n roll part of my soul (which, to be sure, is a pretty big part of my soul). But dude, I think (and yes, I know I'm not the first person to make it to this realization) they might be back.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back, and on the road, even. I remember listening to "Murmur" for the first time the summer after seventh grade and being smitten. And to be there for the one show where they started with "Finest Worksong" and Bill Berry came back (Carter was there can vouch) was so excellent. Although I do miss the curls.

9:20 AM, April 11, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

If you were here, I'd ask if I could touch you. I've never been to an REM show but so wanted to go when they toured way back in the day. This morning I was watching YouTube clips of them playing Finest Worksong live. They must be from 1989 or 90, these clips: everyone is so young, and Michael Stipe's voice is higher than it is now, and it's all just so, so good.

10:23 AM, April 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home