Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Lady in red.


Yesterday, when I first emerged from the Tube, I found myself behind a woman dressed all in red. I noticed her hair first, but as I walked along behind her, I realized that everything about her was some shade or hue of red, except for her yellow backpack. Because I was behind her, I took her picture.

Only this evening did I realize that I actually managed to get a picture of her from the front, as well--a good 10 or 15 minutes later, when I turned around on the south end of the Millennium Bridge and took the picture of St. Paul's that half the people coming off of that bridge take. (And who wouldn't? The bridge was designed to create this view.) There she is, off on the right.


See her?


I realize that this post will make everyone hope never to be near me on city streets. But seriously, I wouldn't have put up the pictures at all but for the fact that her overall look was so bold and good, right down to her black and red striped hand-warmer no-finger gloves--and it's so funny to me that I was completely oblivious to her once I'd taken her picture and passed her by, way back on the other side of St. Paul's.

Once again, my head has been cleared of unnecessary outgrowths and seems all the happier for it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excrescence! That's the word for an outward or abnormal growth. I learned it in Late 18thC Lit this past Monday. Prof. L. used it and I looked it up on the OED after class!

As soon as I read the last line of your post, that word came to my mind.

10:32 PM, April 02, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Indeed! Except that I was talking (partly, anyway) about having gotten my hair cut. Though it must be said: now, as usual, in the aftermath of a haircut, I find myself thinking that I must have been looking pretty darned rough before I went in there.

3:42 AM, April 03, 2008  
Blogger meli said...

what a groovy chick! i love it when just passing someone on the street can make your day.

2:40 PM, April 03, 2008  
Blogger Notorious Ph.D. said...

I grew up a few hours from a Hindu-esque commune/cult where all devotees were required to dress in shades of red (this seemed to include oranges & purples, too) from head to toe. To this day, I cannot see someone dressed all in red, or an entire rack of reds at a secondhand store (where things are often arranged by colors) without thinking of Rajneeshpuram.

5:36 PM, April 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home