Sunday, February 03, 2008

See?


What doesn't show in this picture is the set of words on the paper behind the flower. These words are before me as I try to write:
As I photograph with my little Leica, I have the feeling that there is something so right about it: with the one eye that is closed one looks within. With the other eye that is open one looks without: one sees the shapes, the living quality of what moves one to photograph. Without passion, without working with the emotion of the heart and the enjoyment of the eye, nothing vital can be put down.
Bless you, Henri Cartier-Bresson.

* * *

At the head of a book chapter I read today, I found a past reader's pencilled note: "Chef seasoning--the broccoli some do not care for." I have no idea what that means, or even whether I think it's wonderful. I mean, it's a wonder, to be sure--but that's not always a good thing.

* * *

Plagiarism is never a good thing. But at least sometimes it's a funny thing.

* * *

For me, the pleasure does not lie in the synthesis, the production. The pleasure lies in the gathering, the amassment, the accretion. The detail. The pile-up. Drawing up one more version of a seven-year-old set of ideas makes me realize, once again, how long I seem to be taking to make this thing happen, and how much every airing of it now makes me feel a bit belated.

3 Comments:

Blogger Boricua en la Luna said...

Having just talked about my process on my side of the pond, I'm struck by how our scholarship likes lie in opposite directions. I'm in love with the synthesis and the production and am much less enthusiastic about the accretion and the gathering. But, no doubt, we are equally impatient and unwilling to misstep. ;)

4:04 PM, February 05, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I know! I noticed that right away when I read your blog today--how could one not like the reading and research best, I thought. Perhaps this means that we're destined to be a team. Heh heh...

4:34 PM, February 05, 2008  
Blogger Boricua en la Luna said...

It's not that I don't like reading and researching, because I really do, especially when I have an insight no one else has had (that I know of!). It's that the stage of gathering and accretion, as you so nicely put it, doesn't seem like production to me. I guess I'm just Uber-goal-oriented. But that won't come as a shock to you. And we definitely rock as a team! :0

9:24 AM, February 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home