Thursday, August 02, 2007

We went out seeking eagles.


Instead, we found deer.


One of my Clevelander students has wanted for I don't even know how long to see a bald eagle. And it turns out that there are bald eagles living near Gambier, on a road called Kilduff. And it turns out that I saw one of them at a nearby quarry last night:


(I needed a stronger telephoto lens than I have.)


Tonight, we climbed into my car with another Clevelander (former) student just after 8 and went searching for the eagle who perches at the quarry every night. He was not there, and I felt worse about it than I'd suspected I would. I know that he will be back; we may just have to try a few times before we espy him together. But I wanted her to see him as soon as possible.

It's no small thing to see a family of deer, though. We rolled the windows down all the way, and while I took pictures, my students called to the deer until they high-tailed it out of the field. Deer-jeering: our own fun. When we found the bucks all gathered in a nearby field, we whistled until they saw us. And then I waved. And then we drove on down the road and made another pass at the eagle's perching place, where he was not. Another night, I'm hoping.

2 Comments:

Blogger ttractor said...

Whistling at stags, now there's a pass-time!

1:55 PM, August 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's also no small thing to see a picture, taken by someone you know and like, of a thing that you've been wanting to see forever! I'm just as happy with my vicarious viewing of the eagle, as I will be when I see it with my own eyes.

10:37 AM, August 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home