Monday, January 22, 2007

I thought I'd pull your gender leg.


Tonight's title is tangentially related to my day's biggest event; it's something funny my father said to me as a follow-up to his asking me whether it's proper for me (as a woman) to be called a Fellow, now that (drumroll) I've just found out that I won a fellowship about which I didn't expect to hear anything for a fairly good while. I love that my father knows that, as a literary critic, I have a gender leg. There's much more to say, and a big foundation that I will thank for the rest of my career, but the Cabinet isn't really the venue for it.

For now, look again at my trees' weirdness. These pictures are from last night's monster batch, and they are unretouched:


It's not often that I pose questions to you, but here's one: if you could go anywhere for a year's work, where would it be? I'm not pulling your leg (gender or otherwise) in asking. My life's not a democracy, but I'm gathering ideas.


And now, I tell you, the real maelstrom can start.

7 Comments:

Blogger StinkyLulu said...

Congrats, dear Dr.
A W------ Fellow?

Indeed.


Truly nifty.

12:58 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger Dr. S said...

It's not THE W------ Fellowship, the big prestigious one for emerging writers; it's a thing they fund for junior people at a few liberal arts colleges, including mine. This doesn't diminish it--in fact, individually the liberal arts awards are more generous than the emerging writer ones--but it's a substantially different competition and is based on substantially different criteria (i.e., my teaching). But yes, they're funding me! That sound you hear is me doing yet another dance of exultation.

1:17 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger ttractor said...

holy smokes! that's awesome!

A year in New York would be swell, sez me.

7:57 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger Alison Stine said...

You did offer me congrats about my marriage--thank you. And congrats are in order for you! That's wonderful.

8:19 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger gina said...

Big congratualations, S. Wonderful news!

9:32 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger StinkyLulu said...

The W------ gave a dissertation fellowship at my institution. It was perhaps the most precious prize at that most prize-obsessed place.

So, uniformly, it's one of the most esteemed "brands" in this curious industry we're in...

I'm just so very pleased for you.
(And that it also honors your devoted teaching just makes me verklempt.)

10:43 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger Poking-Stick Man said...

The Lake District. In a cottage overlooking your favorite lake.

I'm green with envy, but delighted to hear this news!

7:42 PM, January 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home