Monday, November 13, 2006

Nightcap.

This mug of hot milk, this one I'm drinking, has extra honey and extra nutmeg. You may know me well enough by now to have some sense of what that means.

Thank goodness for Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Aurora Leigh. I've said it before, but I say it again with feeling tonight. Thank goodness.

                                      We get no good
By being ungenerous, even to a book,
And calculating profits, - so much help
By so much reading. It is rather when
We gloriously forget ourselves and plunge
Soul-forward, headlong, into a book's profound,
Impassioned for its beauty and salt of truth -
'Tis then we get the right good from a book. (1.702-709)

1 Comments:

Blogger Poking-Stick Man said...

I hope you get the right good from this book tonight.

1:43 AM, November 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home