Thursday, March 09, 2006

So many blooms.

The sights I saw at the start of my journey were far lovelier than anything I encountered thereafter, though I did see a barn with no remaining walls, only its ruined skeleton, silhouetted in the grey afternoon light, and I did see that even our Ohio trees are fringing with red as it warms, and I did see a strange, light mist--a kind of half-fog--gathering in the bottoms of fields as I neared home. But before I left the land of early spring, I saw:

(the same blooms I showed you as blazing-in-sun buds on Tuesday)

and (to rectify the crocuslessness of Tuesday's post):

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I appreciate these flowers, my friend. I was diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder two years ago, and it's rough for me sometimes to get through the winter. Seeing these first signs of spring gave me a new spirit. So thank you, Dr. S...just what the doc ordered!

11:37 AM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I too have seasonal affective disorder, though I've never had it diagnosed. It's one of those things that I don't need someone to tell me--it's why the solstices are my holy days, why it's important for me to track the blooms, why I've been so nervous about the spring flowers' springing too soon. So you print these photos out and hang them on your fridge--spring is on its way north, and we're turning the corner to that part of the year where every day is more than half light. In NYC, tomorrow's daylight will be 2 minutes and 44 seconds longer than today's (you're three seconds ahead of us!).

11:57 AM, March 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home