Monday, February 23, 2009

Ice and fire.



Heading out to class this morning, I grabbed my camera, which I haven't been using enough; the number of images you've seen lately that are views from my window-side home desks tell you as much as anything about where my priorities have been of late. I had about two extra minutes on the trip to school, but each quick stop repaid me. Just having stopped to see that cardinal blazing out its song would have been enough.

I'm venturing into a new photographic frontier, too, about which I'll say more tomorrow. But here's a first glimpse. I suspect that some of you will know right away what you're looking at... I don't quite have my tools together, but once I do, things are going to get fun. They may even get, as one of my students would say, epic.

5 Comments:

Blogger Notorious Ph.D. said...

Is this last one a through-the-viewfinder shot? Something involving a twin lens camera?

1:57 AM, February 24, 2009  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Yeah, baby! I knew you would know. My eBay Kodak Duaflex came in the mail today. So far, all I have is a cardboard tube from a paper towel roll to block light; when I have time to make a contraption for it, it's going to get so cool. (It's also better if you have more light for TTV shots, I think-- the things I played with earlier in the day were somewhat better than this.)

2:23 AM, February 24, 2009  
Blogger meli said...

that bird is just great. i've never seen anything like it. and i thought we had colourful birds in australia...

3:04 AM, February 24, 2009  
Blogger Dr. S said...

It's a cardinal--they're our state bird in Ohio (and are the state bird in a lot of states around the midwestern US). I used to think they were sort of uninteresting, since I saw them all the time, but I've come to love them again over the past few years. You can go back and look at the pictures from January 2007 (26 January 2007, especially) if you want to see the time I got to hold a female one (they're brown)...

9:35 AM, February 24, 2009  
Blogger meli said...

it's amazing how ordinary is really extraordinary. your post about holding the bird is just wonderful. it reminded me of a poem i wrote once, 'paraclete' (it's one of the poems on my site under 'poems'). i've never held a bird but i was thinking of what it would feel like... (actually, i guess i have been close to one, as i had a pet budgie for a short time as a child, and it used to sit on my finger.)

4:51 AM, February 27, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home