Sunday, February 17, 2008

Just so you know.


If I see you in the bookstore and you're looking at (and even touching) an Elizabeth Gaskell novel, I'm going to tell you where to start if you're just getting to know her work.

And if you call me on the phone while I'm still in my pajamas and you say, "Do you want to go get food?" I will probably say yes, but if I'm perpetually a little sore at you, I'm probably going to take my sweet time getting ready and then also call the shots as far as where we're going to get lunch, which is how we're going to end up eating ostrich burgers outside in the middle of the market square, because I've never had one and I really feel like eating a sandwich. And there won't be a way to ask you whether you feel as awkward as I do, because I'll be trying to figure out why there's no one from whom to buy apples on a Sunday, and I'll probably be impulse buying a chocolate bar because it's rose-flavoured, and I'll be buying my cappuccino while you go look at fossils, and I'll see the coffee guy shoo the pigeons away with his foot, and neither you nor I will really have much to say to one another, which will keep on feeling strange to me, though I won't say anything about it because what would one say? Sometimes life is like this, and so I'll count my blessings that the apples and the organic butter I've bought are going to make a pie that I'll take to dinner with friends, people around whom I am not awkward and brittle.

6 Comments:

Blogger Poking-Stick Man said...

Mary Barton and Wives and Daughters are the title I'd come up; though I'm sure, of course, you'd probably have a different view (probably North and South).

In other matters, I'm glad you made that doofus wait.

5:42 PM, February 17, 2008  
Blogger Notorious Ph.D. said...

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

10:02 AM, February 18, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Yeah, I mean, I'm just saying: if.

10:15 AM, February 18, 2008  
Blogger Boricua en la Luna said...

Here's alternative hypothetical from a flaming-sworded (and highly menopausal) POV:

The perpetually-a-little-sore-with person calls and says: "Do you want to go get food?"

Instead of probably saying yes, you say: "No, thanks. I appreciate the offer, but my own company is better than yours."

;)

5:15 PM, February 18, 2008  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Indeed. As I told my (equally flaming-sworded) mother earlier, this time around I said yes because I needed to go to town anyway, and lunch seemed like a good idea--given that it was 12:30 and I was still in my PJs and had to make a pie before dinner. But it's astounding, I tell you: it's like whole galaxies of difference have spiraled off over here.

5:45 PM, February 18, 2008  
Blogger meli said...

Just wanted to say - your blog is gorgeous.

And the pie sounds nice.

6:36 PM, February 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home