Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Again a spider.


He has come outside to ask me a question, and so I answer it, and then I show him the web. "I've never seen anything like this before," I say (again and again, to anyone who will listen). "You haven't?" he says. We are bending slightly into the bushes, peering at it. I am still holding my camera, finger crooked through its case's belt loop. He is the second person in close succession whom I have subjected to the web, in these day-ending moments that turn the light from afternoon to evening. He gestures over the inverted bowl of the web's main filaments, and I see that I was mistaken last night, to think they shaped a sphere. "These others, out here," I mishear him say, as he gestures again, "are for suspense."

3 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

Spiders scare the bejesus out of me...

10:33 PM, September 06, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Well, I hope that this one isn't scary, since it's on the computer screen. I didn't make any attempts to befriend the spider; I just considered the aesthetics of its web.

10:38 PM, September 06, 2006  
Blogger Poking-Stick Man said...

Is that a picture of a spider's home or a picture of Middlemarch?

Thank you for taking a photo for us all -- it really is quite something.

12:56 AM, September 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home