Sunday, March 19, 2006

I never liked these statues much.

Until, that is, I took a walk with my brother the photographer.

We have this group of five musical angels, sculptures by Carl Milles, perched atop pillars outside our campus auditorium. My brother and I went out for a stroll this afternoon, and when he stopped walking and started shooting the angels, I was suddenly able to see them differently, and to shoot them, too:


It's no surprise to me, after this many years, that my brother can help me see things differently; seeing things differently is, after all, his vocation. Now, I'm not saying that I like these statues better than the other, actually flying things I saw today--a male cardinal, a tufted titmouse, a house finch, and (less savory) two enormous turkey vultures perched atop a chimney. (Of all those things, I think I liked the titmouse best; it was tiny and grey, hopping about in the holly bushes outside my house, and its crest, fine and crazy like my own hair, made me love it.) But somehow I feel grateful that I've been able to see them in an appreciative way, at long last.

8 Comments:

Blogger ttractor said...

I feel a little guilty. Step thinks I am a brenius with my little camera phone. But really, some of my favorite things I shot just by looking UP, and hey, look, there is something interesting! Or something that is not interesting becomes interesting. (other hint: look down!)

And when are you coming to Brooklyn so we can all wander and look together?

And I have to admit to being completely distracted by the word verification thingie because it is below and RED and I am continually squelching the urge to include it. No more! jppvvt

11:21 AM, March 20, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I am hoping for Brooklyn in May... am working out details.

One of the great things about walking with my brother yesterday was dual looking--the fact that we both had our little cameras and were watching each other watch things (I got some great pictures of him getting great pictures of other things). At one point, as we walked around near a cornfield near here, I had to keep stopping and found myself kind of apologizing for how long it takes me to get anywhere, increasingly. That's actually the reason I didn't have pictures of the sycamore tree, at first--I had wanted just to get to the post office and back, without incessant pausing. And then look what happened! I'm chiefly glad that I have the kind of life where I can take those kinds of perpetually interrupted walks.

I like the idea of "brenius."

Do you ever sound out the words? Mooezheksnehb is mine right now.

12:18 PM, March 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell you if I think you're a "brenius" once you tell me what it means.

"my little camera phone" is a variation on "ramblings and musings." Don't undersell yourself, dude.

And Dr. S, those are lovely photos.

9:58 PM, March 20, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I assumed "brenius" was "brain" + "genius." But it turns out that it's also a name from Arthurian legend--"a supposed king of Britain." Who knew?

12:34 AM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger ttractor said...

I thought "brenius" was an invention of a brenius friend of mine. I had no idea it already existed! (yes, I like to make up words when I can't quite find the right one...like mismoral or asettled...and brenius is swell, I think)

lfhkkfh

10:37 AM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger ttractor said...

step, you busted me. yeah, I downplay the results of my creative urges. I am being rather a coward. Thank you for being kind!

dkbsns -- hah! pronounce that!

5:42 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I was going to chime in with "true that, double true" about Step's comment, because your pictures are amazing no matter what you're using to take them, but I figured she'd made the point. But now I'm chiming in anyway, belatedly.

This one, I like:

yfxwjtbm

Somehow, I'm trying to make it into a sentence that starts with "Why fuck with ..." and obviously that's just vulgar (no call for cussin', after all) but there it is.

6:47 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger ttractor said...

why fix widgets to boom?

kwnyuwux

ahhhhh! it never ends!

8:59 PM, March 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home